I began running about a year and a half ago. What possessed me to start you may ask? My main reason was that I needed a stress reliever. I also wanted to accomplish something I never thought I would do. So I decided to run. I began with 1.5 miles and worked my way up to 5-6 miles 5 days a week.
Here are some great reasons to get started:
1. It's easy and convenient
2. You will stress less
3. It can prevent disease
4. It fights cancer
5. It boosts your bones!
6. You feel great about yourself afterward!
7. Train for races if you like competition
10 Things to consider as a new runner:
1. Wear good running shoes (you can get fitted for free at OffandRunning in Greensboro)
2. Shoot to run between 8 and 15 miles per WEEK to increase you aerobic fitness
3. As a new runner focus on time not miles. Your goal could be to run for 15 min not 2 miles.
4. Be prepared to be hungry-often. Know it IS okay to eat, your body is working harder so make sure you feed it more. However not junk food! Here are some great meal ideas for runners!
5. When you run keep your jaw loose, shoulders relaxed and occasionally shake out your hands to stay relaxed
6. Before you stretch do a short warm up. You can actually damage your muscles by stretching them while they are "cold"
7. DRINK the H20! Water keeps you hydrated, joints tendons and ligaments lubricated and helps carry blood to organs in the body.
8. Push through those side cramps. The best way to get rid of them is to keep running. I promise.
9. Keep your breathing rhythmic
10. Change up your scenery!
Ways to stay motivated:
1. Sign up for a race
2. Get a free training plan online
3. Get new shoes
4. Run a new route
5. Bring your dog
6. Run for a cause
7. Listen to new music
8. Use running for prayer